Chelveston in 2015 by kind permission of Ray Dyer.
The parish comprises the village of Chelveston and the adjacent hamlet of Caldecott, along with Chelston Rise and the surrounding farmland. There are 240 dwellings (2021) and the electorate is 450 (March 2023).
Chelveston is approx. 2.5 miles east of Higham Ferrers on the B645, in the east of the county of Northamptonshire, UK.
North Northamptonshire (Unitary) Council ward: Higham Ferrers.
UK Parliamentary Constituency: Wellingborough.
UK Region: East Midlands.
Places of interest
- St John the Baptist Church
Dates back to 13th Century. Restored in 1849, the Church is a grade II* listed building.
- Churchyard Memorials
Memorials and graves, including a recently restored 100 year old war memorial to villagers lost in WW1 & WW2, and a Commonwealth War Grave for an American who crossed into Canada to serve in the RCAF.
- The Star & Garter
The 300+ year old local village pub. Food served daily. Parking at the rear.
- The Village Hall
Formerly the endowed village school with adjacent schoolmaster's house built in 1864. The endowment came from land owned by a trust set up in 1760.
- 305th Bomb Group Memorial
Funded by a public appeal between July 2005-6 and dedicated in May 2007.
- The former RAF Chelveston
Used by the 305th Bomb Group (364th, 365th, 366th & 422nd Bomb Squadrons) of the US Army Air Force (USAAF) flying B-17 Flying Fortresses between 6th December 1942 - 25th July 1945.