There are four War Memorials in the parish. Two are located in the parish churchyard, the 305th Bomb Group memorial is on Higham Road and the fourth, for the Northampton General Hospital memorial appeal, is inside the Village Hall.
Additionally there is a Commonwealth War Grave Commission maintained grave in the churchyard.
Cross of Sorrow (Parish WW1 and WW2)
Cross of Sorrow in the churchyard after restoration.
The village war memorial (the Cross of Sorrow) is located to the east of the church and was erected on 19th March 1920 by public subscription. The Cross was restored in 2020, again by public subscription and a grant from the Wind Farm Trust.
As the original lettering became worn, the Parish Council installed a slate plaque under the east window of the church on 8th May 1996, listing the five villagers from WW1 and one from WW2. The plaque was gilded in 2018 in remembrance of 100 years from the end of WW1
The following provides some background information to the names.
World War I
Pte George Herbert Corbett (1445 & 14459) served in the 3rd Battalion Coldstream Guards.
Son of Joseph & Sarah Corbett, formerly of Hargrave. Joseph Corbett was a beer retailer in Chelveston.
George enlisted at Melton Mowbray in July 1915. He served as a Private in the 3rd Battalion, Coldstream Guards (the rank of Guardsman wasn't adopted until 1920) and died on the 15th September 1916 (age 24) during the middle phase of the Battle of the Somme. The 3rd Battalion had moved up to the trenches near Ginchy in early September 1916, and commenced the assault at 6:20 am on the 15th September (the Battle of Flers–Courcelette). Although they captured the initial objectives, they came under heavy machine fire from defenders in a sunken road. 11 officers and 414 other ranks died in the assault. George's body was never recovered and he is listed amongst the missing on the Thiepval Memorial, France. Memorial Panel 7D.
Thiepval Memorial, France. Memorial Panel 7D
Son of Charles Farr, of Chelveston. George was listed as farm labourer in 1911.
George enlisted in Rushden in December 1915 and served in the 2nd (Regular) Battalion, Northants Regiment. Less than 3 months later he died on 8th February 1916 (age 22), and is buried at Ration Farm Military Cemetery, La Chapelle-d'Armentières, France. Plot I grave C.10.
Lived in Caldecott. He was a shoe worker in Mr Charles Parker's factory at Higham Ferrers.
Walter enlisted in Higham Ferrers and served in the 1/4th (Territorial) Battalion, Northants Regiment. He died of wounds on the 28th November 1917 (age 32) from the Battle of Mughar Ridge (part of the Southern Palestine Offensive) and is buried at the Ramleh War Cemetery, Israel. Grave B.72.
Son of Job & Elizabeth Morris, of High Street, Chelveston. In 1901 Frank was listed as a shoe worker.
Died 9th April 1918 (age 33). Originally buried at Bohain Station Military Cemetery, later re-buried at Premont British Cemetery, Aisne, France. Plot IV Row B Grave 23.
Son of Alfred & Emma Morris, of Water Yard, Chelveston. He was employed in the shop of Mr. E. Parsons, High Street, Rushden.
He enlisted at Kettering in February 1917 and three months later was in France serving in the 1st Battalion, The Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment). Two months later he died on 31st July 1917 (age 19) on the first day of the third Battle of Ypres (Battle of Passchendaele). His body was never recovered and he is listed amongst the missing on the Menin Gate Memorial, Ypres, France. Memorial panel 6.
Menin Gate Memorial, Ypres, France. Memorial panel 6.
World War II
Sgt Stanley Eric Odell (3968060) served in the 4th Battalion Welch Regiment.
Son of James Henry & Selena Odell and husband of Betty Odell, of Chelveston.
Died 25th February 1945 (age 25) during Operation Veritable to break through the Reichswald (German: Imperial Forest) in a pincer movement to secure the west bank of the Rhine. Buried at the Reichswald Forest War Cemetery, Kleve, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany. Plot 51 Row H Grave 3.
Reichswald Forest War Cemetery
Plot 51 Row H Grave 3.
Sgt Stanley Eric Odell
(with kind permission of his daughter, Penny)
Northampton General Hospital WW2 memorial appeal
The National Health Service (NHS) was not created until July 1948. Until then, hospitals were funded by grants, appeals and donations. Following the end of WW2, a memorial appeal was opened across the county to extend the Northampton General Hospital (NGH) in memory of all those who had died in WW2.
On Tuesday, July 30th, 1946, the then HRH Princess Elizabeth visited NGH to show appreciation to the people of Northamptonshire who collected over £19,000 (worth over £550,000 in 2023) to build a new Outpatients Department.
The parish donations were commemorated by plaques, with surviving examples at Tiffield, Stowe IX Churches and Chelveston-cum-Caldecott.
Plaque presented to the parish by the appeal committee in 1947.
£355 is worth £10,712 in 2023.
Following a period of storage, the plaque was installed in the Village Hall and unveiled at the Annual Parish Assembly in 2013.
Commonwealth War Grave
Flt Sgt Charles W Auld RCAF (PDF, 72 Kb)
Background to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission maintained grave for Flight Sergeant Charles W Auld RCAF in the churchyard of St John the Baptist Church.