1. Skip to content

Working Mens Club

History

An indenture dated 24th January 1902 details the sale of the land and buildings from the estate of the late Rev Thomas James Sanderson of Brington, Hunts, to Thomas Charles George (farmer), Alfred Morris (skivehand) and Thomas Allen (labourer) being the trustees of the Chelveston-cum-Caldecott Working Mens Club and Institute, registered as a Working Mens Club under the Friendly Societies Act 1896, for the sum of £300.

The buildings included a bakehouse and baker's shop. In a later indenture dated 8th April 1908, the trustees Charles Holyoak, William Campion and Herbert Watts sold these to Henry Edward Disbrowe Wise (last Lord of the Manor).

The club was admitted to the Union of Working Mens Clubs on 3rd March 1900 and left in August 1984.

Cards, pints & pipes!

Standing L-R: Mr Lovell (Stanwick), Harry Mitchell, Harry Stinton & "Dobber" Knight.

Sitting L-R: Albert McGeorge, Walter (Rod) Eady (back to camera), Charlie Dowsett, Walter Eady & Joe Talby.

Harvest Supper in the upstairs billiards room.

L-R : Harry Mitchell, Walter (Rod) Eady & two judges from Stanwick

1980's

In 1980 the Trustees put in a bid to buy the land formerly occupied by the Village Institute, for additional car parking, but were beaten at the auction by JST Forklifts.

On Friday 1st May 1981, the Chichelle Lodge, No. 9660, of the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffalos (RAOB) held a Ceremony of Exaltation to the 4th degree of Brother Owen Jeffs at the club. The Exalting Officer was Brother H.Sherratt, President, Roll of Honour Assembly No.134.

The Public Entertainment licence of 1986 shows it was registered to hold 75 persons.

The club is now closed and is a private dwelling.

Secretaries

1910 - George Hoskins.

1914-36 - Harry Mitchell.

1940 - Leonard Baxter.

Stewards

1920 - Joe & Rose Chambers.

Wartime - Walter (Rod) Eady.

Post-war - Rory Stewart, Linda Johnson.