1. Skip to content

Fitzwilliam Arms

The village pub is often the centre of village life, but in the case of the Fitzwilliam Arms, it was a long walk for a pint! The pub was actually in Station road, Irthlingborough, but until the boundary changed in 1987 (under the East Northamptonshire (Parishes) order 1987), this was part of the parish. It was named after the Fitzwilliam family, who were the principle landowners in the Higham Ferrers parish and surrounding area.

The Fitzwilliam Arms was owned by the Corporation of Higham Ferrers and leased to Campbell Pread during the late 1800's, until purchased by Campbell Praed & Co of Wellingborough in 1903.

In 1938 the brewery decided the Cottage in Little Irchester looked a better prospect and applied to move the alehouse license from the Fitzwilliam Arms. The pub closed in April of that year and is now a private residence.

The Campbell Praed brewery and tied houses were acquired by Phipps Brewery Co in 1954.

Innkeepers & Landlords

1854 William Valentine Jones (also a coal merchant)

1862 John Dunkley

1869 Robert Scarborrow or Scarborough (also a painter)

1890 Henry Withers

1891 William George Daniels

1903 John Asgood

1904 Henry Burgess

1922 Hugh Brightwell

1932 Leonard Denton

1936 Joseph Arthur Watts