1. Skip to content

Butchers

Most rural villages had a butcher, usually with cattle slaughtered on the premises. Chelveston was no exception and the former butcher's shop is now known as the White House on the Kimbolton Road.

Cattle waiting for slaughter were kept in a field further up the Kimbolton Road until they were needed, whilst sheep were kept in the paddock behind the Star & Garter.

According to local sources, there was a heavy iron ring set in the floor of one of the outbuildings to pull down the cattle before they were pole-axed. However, there are no remains of this.

The earliest recorded butcher is Thomas Achurch in 1792.

Census records -

1861 Gideon Colson.

1871 Gideon & John Thomas Colson.

1881 John Thomas Colson & Fredrick Newell (butcher's boy).

1891 John Thomas Colson & James Robbins (butcher's assistant).

1923 Jack James (also of High St South, Rushden).

It is believed that Jack James was the last butcher until closure in 1936/7.

The butchers is now closed and the White House is now a private dwelling.