1. Skip to content

Chelveston-cum-Caldecott Parish Council

Serving the people of Chelveston-cum-Caldecott

Clerk: Mr Mark Hunter
Ashbury, Caldecott
Wellingborough
Northamptonshire NN9 6AR

Tel: 01933 626039

Bakers

Most rural villages had a baker, with bread baked on the premises. Chelveston was no exception and the former bakery was located at the top of Water Lane. The bakehouse ovens operated 7 days a week and were used on Sundays for the cooking of some of the villagers' Sunday roasts!

The earliest recorded baker is Thomas Green in 1771.

Census records -

1841 William Knight.

1851 William Knight.

1861 William Knight.

1871 William Douglas Knight, Amos Eady & Edward Dickerson (assistant).

1881 William Douglas Knight & Fred Holyoak (William Douglas Knight was elected as founding member of the Parish Council in 1895 and served 2 years).

The bakery was part of the land sold to the trustees of the Working Mens Club in 1902, but was sold on to the Lord of the Manor in 1908.

1904 Harry Hinson (who was elected to the Parish Council 1913-19 and 1922-25).

1931 Ronald K Bull brought it from Harry Hinson (John Eady was the delivery boy).

1940's Mr Baldwin.

1945 Mr William "Bill" Allan (of Glasgow) moved from London to purchase the bakery in February 1945. Married to Alice with two sons, Ken & Robert. He had gas installed in 1948. The bakery was sold in August 1951. (Ted Eady was the delivery boy).

1951 Mr Lawrence (Mrs Lawrence was the daughter of Clarke Bakers of Stanwick).

It is believed that the Lawrence's were the last bakers until closure in 1952. The baker's shop became a general stores shop and then the Post Office in 1976.

The bakery is now closed and is now a private dwelling.