1. Skip to content

1919 - Estate Sale

Lt Col Henry Edward Disbrowe Disbrowe-Wise JP CBE [1868—1948] was Chelveston's last traditional Lord of the Manor who owned the manor estate, which he had inherited from his mother in 1908. With the death of his aunt Charlotte Anne Albinia Disbrowe in 1918 he inherited the Disbrowe family estate in Derbyshire. On taking up residence he needed to raise funds and chose to do by the sale of the estate properties in the parish. This was by a public auction, held at the Hind Hotel, Wellingborough at 5:00 pm on Wednesday 30th July 1919.

The auctioneers were Pendered & Son Ltd of Wellingborough and J.S.Mason of Rushden. The solicitors were Dawson & Co of Lincoln's Inn, London.

The sale included the lands and property in the parish, plus some adjoining in Irthlingborough, Stanwick and Newton Bromswold parishes, totalling some 1,655 acres.

Lot 1: Chelveston Lodge (now in Stanwick parish) - 118.8 acres.

Lot 2: The Poplars Farm, Caldecott — 393.4 acres.

This included a cottage occupied by Thomas Stirman (aged 82) and was a condition of the sale that he must be allowed to remain a tenant for the remainder of his life.

Lot 3: The Manor Farm, Caldecott — 288.2 acres.

The smithy and timberyard were included in this lot.

Lot 4: The Duchy Farm, Chelveston — 68.4 acres.

Lot 5: Middle Farm, Chelveston — 154.4 acres.

Lot 6: Top Farm, Chelveston — 79.7 acres.

The smithy and blacksmith's cottage were included in this lot.

Lot 7: The Pastures Farm, Chelveston (crosses into Stanwick parish) — 295.1 acres.

Lot 8: The Hall Yard Farm, Chelveston — 99.8 acres.

Lot 9: Top Farm small holding, Caldecott—22.7 acres.

Lot 10: Newton Lodge, Newton Bromswold parish - 107.4 acres.

Lot 11: Church House, Caldecott — 9.6 acres.

Lot 12: The Star & Garter PH.

This included a cottage occupied by Emma Eady (aged 79) and was a condition of the sale that she must be allowed to remain a tenant for the remainder of her life.

Lot 13: Moelfre dwelling house, Chelveston.

Lot 14: Three cottages, The Green, Chelveston — these occupied the area which is now the 305th BG War Memorial site and the former Baptist Chapel. One of them was the parish Reading Room.

Lot 15: The Bakehouse, Chelveston.

Lot 16: Two cottages & workshops, Chelveston — these occupied the site of what is now Cornerhouse Cottages.

Lot 17: Annlois (now Yew Tree) Cottage, Caldecott.

Lot 18: Poplar Farm & (now Melrose) Cottages, Caldecott.

Lot 19: The Marches Cottage, Caldecott — 1 acre.

This was used by Lt Col Wise when he stayed in the parish.

Lot 20: Meadow land, Station Rd, Irthlingborough - 7 acres.

Lot 21: Meadow land, Station Rd, Irthlingborough - 3.9 acres.

Lot 22: Meadow land, Station Rd, Irthlingborough - 3.7 acres